Company History

For more than 70 years, Federal fillers have been recognized worldwide for dependable performance in demanding production environments and for an overall low total cost of ownership.

Federal's history goes back to 1946 when Mr. David Fee recognized the need for a better machine for smaller, farm dairies to fill and cap glass bottles. Within two years, both 6- and 9-valve level fillers were engineered and introduced at the 1948 Dairy Show in Atlantic City. Federal's simple, hygienic, dependable filler designs made Mr. Fee’s filling systems a success from the time they were introduced.

Development efforts revolved around glass bottle filling and capping until the 1962 introduction of HDPE containers. These lighter weight, easier to handle containers became very popular with consumers and Federal responded by developing innovative filling technologies and filling valves that were compatible with this style of container. Hygienic filler development has continued ever since with a mission to offer unprecedented product quality, speed, durability, efficiency, and cleanliness.

Federal developed and installed its first Extended Shelf Life (ESL) milk filling system in 1998, which had a successful first installation that and this first installation was validated by the customer as achieving the targeted 47-day refrigerated code-life. ESL filling systems for premium refrigerated juices were developed and installed two years later.

Federal added non-contact weight filling technology in 2004 through the acquisition of Engineered Products & Systems Inc. (EPSI). Weight filling technology introduced Federal to new markets including paint, agricultural chemicals, personal care, automotive lubricants and other high value products.

With these advancements came systems specifically created to maximize product protection and provide maximum shelf life. The design for these systems focused on simplicity, controlled and repeatable sanitation, durability, and preservation of product quality.

Federal joined ProMach in 2012 and is now a leading manufacturer of liquid filling systems as part of ProMach's filling group. In 2014, Federal moved from its downtown Milwaukee location to a new 78,000 square-foot facility in Waukesha, WI.

Federal’s focus on innovation continued with the introduction of XACT-FIL™ weight fillers at Pack Expo Las Vegas in 2017. XACT-FIL™ represents a next generation redesign of Federal’s high-performance net weight fillers. Today, Federal's net weight filling technology is a market leading filling solution for high-value liquid products due to its high performance, features, and quality.

As a division of ProMach, Federal is committed to developing innovative, high-quality, high-performance filling equipment with dependable customer service and technical support.

We sincerely thank you for considering Federal.

Federal Facility in Waukesha, Wisconsin

Federal Facility in Waukesha, WI


In the Fall of 2014, Federal moved from Milwaukee to a new 78,000-square-foot headquarters and manufacturing facility in Waukesha, Wisconsin. Raw materials enter the plant at one end and finished filling machines are shipped to customers from the other. The plant has approximately 33 percent more space than the previous facility and an improved floor plan, which allows Federal to more effectively integrate filling machines with associated equipment, primarily from its sister brand Zalkin, and to perform Factory Acceptance Testing of complete rinsing, filling, and capping systems.